Saturday, July 18, 2015

Chimichurri

Wanted to eat steak [and not skirt steak from the restaurant] the other day. Went to see what the prices were at the market. I found a great price 2.89/lb but I realized that they were mis-labelled as pork. I wasn't quite sure what cut they were but I thought they were sirloin and decided to pick them up. Since I wasn't quite sure what cut, decided to make a marinade.

Looked up different types of marinades for sirloin steak and found a easy recipe for chimichurri from Omaha Steak . Of course, I didn't have all the ingredient and need to improvise.

chimicurri
smells so good
right of the grill and resting


Cimichurri adapted from Omaha Steak

4 cloves garlic, rough chopped
1 small bunch flat leaf parsley
2 c mint (asked for cilantro)
zest and juice of 2 lemons
1/2 c olive oil
1 t salt
1/2 t red pepper flakes

Add garlic, parsley, mint (or cilantro) and the zest and juice of the lemon. Turn on the processor and as the starts going stream in the oil. Add the salt and pepper flakes. You may want to adjust the salt and the lemon. Should look like pesto when it is done.

Reserve 1/2 cup of the sauce to serve with steak.

Add the sauce to the zip lock bag and toss the steaks in. Make sure the steaks are cover with sauce. Refrigerate till ready to grill your steaks. Omaha Steak recipe say marinate at least 15 minutes to 2 hours but I marinated it for 6 hours and it was delicious and tender.

I had 2 lbs of sirloin [I think] and there was more than enough marinade for at least 2 more pounds. And the next time I make this recipe, I will reserve a lot more sauce to use in a salad dressing. So good.

No comments: