Friday, October 26, 2012

My Sweet Potato Pie

sweet potato pie
Been on a sweet potato kick lately. I have 3 potatoes waiting to get roasted up. I really love the sweetness that roasting them brings out. 

I made this pie a couple weeks ago for the restaurant, it seems like people liked it [got a note from a customer asking me to make more]. 

I used my mom's pumpkin pie recipe and tweaked it a bit. My mom's pumpkin pie is a favorite of our family and friends. It's very creamy and custard-y. I used alway have it as my breakfast the morning after Thanksgiving if there was any leftover. It makes a giant pie--9x13 pan. Lots to share. 

I cut the crust amount in half to make it thinner but kept the same amount of filling. So thinner crust, thicker filling. Switched out the pumpkin with oven roasted sweet  potatoes, that I mashed with potato masher so not too smooth. If you look at the picture you can see little chunks of potato.

I thought I'd share it with everyone. It's a big pie, should feed 12 to 14 or 10 big slices like we do at the restaurant.


Sweet Potato Pie
makes 10" springform pan

Crust*
1 1/2 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 T butter, melted

Filling
4 eggs, beaten
1 t salt
3 1/2 c roasted sweet potato, mashed [about 3]**
1 1/2 c sugar
1 t cinnamon
1 t ground ginger
1/2 t grounded cloves
3 1/2 c evaporated milk

Pre-heat oven 425º.

Sweet Potato: Wash the sweet potatoes well, cut in half length-wise. Turn on the oven on to 400º. Coat the potato lightly with oil [used canola]. Put cut side down and roast potatoes till done. Stick a paring knife into the potato and if it pull out without any resistance, it's done. Cool, peel the skin and mash the potatoes for filling. Doesn't have to be totally smooth, a little chunky is okay. You can roast up the potato prior starting this pie. I even have put the potatoes in the freezer. Just peel and kept it in large chunks and squeezed some lemon juice on it to keep it's color. Just take out the day before and put it in the refrig. to defrost. 

Crust: Grease the bottom and sides of the springform pan with melted butter. Mix flour and sugar, cut in the butter with pastry cutter. Press flour mixture into the springform pan, slightly up the side. Then refrigerate crust while you mix up the filling.

Filling: Combine all the filing ingredients, making sure it is blended well. 

Take crust out of the refrigerator and pour the filling into the crust. Bake at 425º for 20 minutes. Turn down oven to 350º and bake for 55 minutes or when toothpick comes out clean. UPDATE ON COOKING TIME: because it's a thicker filling it takes longer more like 1 hour 15 minutes. Test with a toothpick. The center shouldn't be jiggly. Cool to room temp. then put in refrigerator to set.

*If you want to make 9x13 pan instead of the springform, double the amounts for the crust. 

**If you want to make pumpkin pie, switch out the sweet potato with the same amounts of pumpkin. I've used both can and roasted pumpkin for this pie. I think the only different would be you can control the chunkiness and you will have pumpkin seeds to roast up as a snack. 

No comments: