Saturday, June 22, 2013

Got a new canning pot

Untitled
Just fit on the burner.
My big old faithful pot seems to be leaking and I can't have that happen--too much water on my stovetop put my oven out of commission for 4 days in May. 

Now with my brand new pot, I've been jamming away. By the end of this week, I will have jammed 9 lbs of fruit--two batches of strawberry and one batch of mixed berry. 

And I made double batch of bread and butter pickles. Two different recipes--one from smittenkitchen.com and one from seriouseats.com. Both pretty similar but wanted to see which on I'd like to use. As usually I didn't read the recipes thoroughly and bought enough cukes for two batch and I figure this was a good way to test them out. 
Untitled
This is the smittenkitchen.com recipe. 

Untitled
And this is the seriouseats. com recipe
Had to adjust the smittenkitchen recipe, didn't have tumeric [I helped someone find a bottle of dried cilantro and picked up the tuscany spice instead] and my coriander was bad, so instead I use my vindaloo spice because it had both. Add a 1/2 teaspoon of it. May have not been enough. This recipe isn't canned. It's last 3 weeks in the refrigerator. This is a close up of the pickles in the bottle.

Untitled
I added the red peppers


For the seriouseats.com recipe, I was good and had all the ingredients. I picked this recipe because it's canned. I really wanted a canned pickle recipe. 

Untitled
4 half pints in the front seriouseat.com, 3 in back smittenkitchen.com
I'll let you know what I think of my pickles. I'm so distracted with my canning that I forgot I have to make a cheesecake for the restaurant. Who needs cheesecake when you have pickles, and homemade to boot!

No comments: