Saturday, July 24, 2010

Artichoke Dip

We had our July birthday's at the office the other day. We were trying to do something new to change it up from a bagel breakfast. The theme was sort of picnic-y--watermelon, cookies, strawberry pie and I made Artichoke dip with cheese herb crackers. 


Everyone one at the party really like it. I think they were a bit surprised not expecting it to taste that great. I found the recipe from TasteSpotting, it's a collective of foods from other sites. It really great to look at and browser for some interesting recipes. It took me to theUrbanSpork.com's Creamy Artichoke Dip


I kind of fiddle with the recipe because I didn't have cumin so I added chili powder (has cumin in it), added a little bit of a kick. I probably add a little more olive oil and garlic but I think that is a taste and texture thing that is up to you. I also added some chopped parsley to the pureed mixture on top of mixing in chopped parsley after (makes the dip look a beautiful shade of green). I wish I took a picture of the dip but I forgot. I bet this dip would make a great sandwich or wrap spread with some roasted veggies and salad greens. And on top of it, it is pretty low-fat. Here's the recipe. Enjoy!




Creamy Artichoke Dip
This Creamy Artichoke Dip is the perfect choice for those who want a healthy option that doesn’t sacrifice flavor.  Serve this smooth, mild and creamy dip with tortilla chips or breadsticks.
Serves 4
Ingredients
  • 1-12 oz. jar artichoke hearts, drained
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
Directions
Put the artichokes, garlic, oil, cumin and lemon zest in a food processor.  Add the salt and pepper, and blend to make a smooth puree.  Check the seasoning and stir in the parsley.  Scrape the dip into a bowl and serve.

No comments: