Sunday, March 29, 2015

Kind of a Citrus Day

Been looking for new and interesting jam recipe and I found this marmalade recipe I thought I'd try out, Cara Cara Pineapple Marmalade from Spectacularly Delicious. Sound like great combination and it probably look great because of the Cara Cara oranges. Cara Cara oranges are kind of coral color inside, sweet and easy to peel. 

This recipe didn't seem that hard to do and it didn't have an overnight soak so I decide to try it out this morning after a batch of Kiwi Apple Jam and some Apple Bread Pudding. While the bread pudding was in the oven I started to prep the oranges. 
Prepping Cara Cara oranges
Peel sliced and skinned oranges ready to be process
It seems like a lot of peel and was worried that it would be too bitter but this was my first try with this recipe so I was trying not to stray too far. I boiled peel twice as the recipe said. Then on to the skinned oranges and pineapples
Processed chunk pineapple
processing the pineapple chunks
I processed the skinned orange but didn't get as much as the recipe mentioned but they recommended to add as much sugar as the processed orange, which was 3.5 cups. I also process the my chunk pineapple a bit to break it down to be more like crushed. I had 15oz chunk pineapple so that what I used.
Cara Cara Pineapple Marmalade
cooking down to thicken up
Tossed everything in the pot brought up to boil and turn down to simmer and skimmed the scum of the top. I thought it may not be sweet enough but I was mistaken. I add juice of whole lemon to level off the sweetest. 
Beautiful color
It had a nice flavor, not a lot of pineapple, could add another 1/2 15oz can to bump that up. There was a lot of peel but it didn't make it bitter because the pre-boil but I think it was a little too much and would eliminate peel from 1 orange. It made 3 pints and 1 half pint. A definitely make again recipe.

I guess I was feeling very ambitious and made a batch of orange curd. I had three navel oranges that I wanted use up. I zested and juiced the oranges while the marmalade was simmered. 

Prepping for orange curd
Waiting for marmalade to be done
I used my favorite Ina Garten's Lemon Curd recipe, the one I use for my lilikoi, lime, and most recently raspberry curd. It is so easy and fast. The oranges gave me slightly over 3/4 of cup of juice and I decided to use all it in the curd. It came out beautiful as usual and gave me 1 pint and 1 half pint. 
too beautiful to give away
Last week, while my old friend, J from Hawaii came for a visit, I decided to test out an idea I got from pinterest to make mousse with the lemon curd from The Kitchen McCabe. Instead of lemon, I used that raspberry curd I made. Add a lemon-y white cake and vanilla bean swiss meringue butter cream to finish it off.
Untitled
Needed a vehicle to test out my raspberry mousse
I think I'll make orange mousse for WG as he seems to love that stuff. Maybe adjusting the the cake above to be orange instead of lemon and test it out on my office mates this week. 

No comments: