Saturday, July 18, 2015

Summer Jams

What I've been making so far with summer season fruits. This is why I slave over a hot stove stirring and canning in the summer heat. Thank goodness for central air. 

Peach Butter
Fruit: 4+ pounds (about 9 medium size peaches)
peaches
Got these peaches for $0.99/lb. 
I tried a new technique to make to make it easier for me. I pitted and quarter the peaches. Then toss them into blender and pureed them. Measured out the puree and added half the amount in sugar. It came out to 6 cups and I added 3 cups of sugar. I put everything in the crock pot on low leaving it for 7 hours, stirring occasionally. Half way through I cracked open the lid so it would thicken up a bit. Before I put them in bottles I added a juice of a small lemon to brighten up the taste. And that's it, simple. 

Finish Product: a little over 3 pints.


Plum Jam

Fruit: 2 pint of sugar plum plus a bag of the mushy plums
Untitled
Sugar Plums from the Rutgers Garden farmers markets
I love plum jam. So sweet and beautiful deep purple. The fruit vendor gave me the mushy plum for free when I mentioned I was making jam. The plums at perfect ripeness and were so sweet. [saved some for WG, I think he'll like these] 


Untitled
beautiful deep purple
Finish Product: 2 pints and almost 3 1/2 pints out this batch.

Blueberry Jam
Fruit: 3 lbs Jersey blueberries

Local blueberries are in season and prices were so cheap. Made a batch of blueberry lemon jam. I used 3 cups of sugar and I added the zest and juice of one lemon at the very end. I forgot to get some pictures but this jam is a chunky with blueberries bit and lemon-y note. Very easy to make. Good first try at jamming. It's a great add to plain yogurt.

Finish Product: 2 pints and almost 3 1/2 pints out this batch.

No comments: